The University of Mississippi, affectionately known as Ole Miss, is the state's flagship university. Included in the elite group of R1: Doctoral Universities - Highest Research Activity by the Carnegie Classification, it has a long history of producing leaders in public service, academics and business. Its 16 academic divisions include a major medical school, nationally recognized schools of accountancy, law and pharmacy, and an Honors College acclaimed for a blend of academic rigor, experiential learning and opportunities for community action. Recognized among the nation’s most beautiful, Ole Miss' main campus is in Oxford, which is routinely acknowledged as one of the country's best college towns.
When it chartered the University of Mississippi on February 24, 1844, the Mississippi Legislature laid the foundation for public higher education in the state. The university opened its doors to 80 students four years later, and for 23 years was Mississippi's only public institution of higher learning. For 110 years, it was the state's only comprehensive university.
The University of Mississippi embraces its public flagship mission of inspiring and educating our diverse and vibrant community where all individuals are able to intellectually, socially, and culturally thrive through transformative experiences on our campus and beyond. In fulfillment of this mission, we demonstrate the following commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion:
Diversity is an affirmation of the intersecting individual, social and organizational identities that make our community vibrant and transformational. We commit to openly increasing, embracing and recognizing the full spectrum of diversity at all levels of our institution.
Equity is directly addressing the social, institutional, organizational and systemic barriers that prevent members of marginalized groups from thriving in our community. We commit to be both proactive and responsive in mitigating barriers so that all members of our institution are able to reach their full potential.
Inclusion is actively and intentionally creating a welcoming campus where all individuals feel they have a supportive and affirming space to learn, grow and engage. We commit to fostering a campus environment that fully supports, values and engages the intersectional identities of every member of our community.
Vision, Mission and Core Values
The University of Mississippi aspires to be a preeminent public international research university and a leading force for innovation and opportunity in Mississippi, the United States, and the world.
As Mississippi's first comprehensive, public university and academic medical center, the University of Mississippi transforms lives, communities, and the world by providing opportunities for the people of Mississippi and beyond through excellence in learning, discovery, healthcare, and engagement.
- Mutual Respect: Each person is inherently valuable, and we hold other people’s dignity equal to our own while recognizing that their beliefs, ideas, and values will differ.
- Equity: We are committed to identifying and removing barriers, improving fairness in systems and outcomes, and creating a more inclusive understanding of how opportunities for success and achievement can be made available to all people.
- Access and Opportunity: We have a responsibility to ensure that all people have the awareness, opportunity, and support to benefit from the transformative power of a college education.
- Learning and Development: We acknowledge that we will always have new things to learn, skills to develop, and that learning and development challenge us personally and professionally.
- Collaboration: We believe that the most pressing social, civic, economic, and moral problems are best solved through interdisciplinary collaborative partnerships within and beyond the academy.
- Responsibility: We must be accountable to ourselves and other members of the community.
- Civic Leadership: We recognize the wellbeing of each member of our community is interconnected, and we dedicate ourselves to making our community better for all.
INSPIRE. DISCOVER. TRANSFORM.
The University of Mississippi aspires to be a preeminent public international research university and a leading force for innovation and opportunity in Mississippi, the United States and the world.
LIFE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI
Our University, like all institutions, is only as strong as our people. Our faculty, staff, and students represent an exceptional group of people with a rich diversity of talents and backgrounds. There’s no better place to start a great career than right here.
The University of Mississippi is an EOE/AA/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Title VI/Title VII/Title IX/504/ADA/ADEA employer.
The University of Mississippi provides equal opportunity in any employment practice, education program, or education activity to all qualified persons. The University complies with all applicable laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based upon race, color, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, citizenship, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.